Thursday, August 20, 2009

Lizella tests and other things out of and for the kiln...

For those of you who followed along with the Yunomi workshop a couple of weeks back, I finally glazed and fired some of the lizella that we mixed up and threw that week, and here are some results:


I meant to use a clear glaze, but used celadon, which
gave an olive green result on the clay



trio of lizella fluted shots - the copper green and tenmoku
one on the left will make it worth doing more ... satin white w/
wax resist in the middle, and tenmoku over porcelain slip on the outside
plus some underglaze brushwork. Dark, but it's there!

Also in the kiln, the first batch of mugs for Izzy's - these will be in the shop soon, with more coming out of the next kiln.

some of the mugs headed to Izzy's on Haywood...

A little member spotlight - Crazy Green Studios member Katie has been working on mugs, and has been a mug machine! This little sweetie was in this kiln.


Katie's fun mug...

Back to filling the bisques so I have ware for the reduction kiln in a couple of weeks (yikes!). One of the newer forms in the works are candlesticks. I used to throw them a lot ... a lot ... got rather sick of them and have completely ignored them for the past couple of years. I'm making a pair for a wedding registry, but I'm also making work for a new gallery, and didn't want to just make one pair and forget them gain, so I've been playing around with various designs. Much to my great frustration, I'm finding that I have a lot to re-teach myself about successfully throwing this seemingly simple form. First one was great, then I had to start thinking about it, and it's been a very colorful exploration over the past few days, with a growing pile of clay for reclaim and barely a shelf full of actual forms. Perhaps I need to go back and read what Julia and the pugger have taught me ...


playing around with the candlestick...
heather gave me great ideas with her versions (in the back)

Today has been better, in large part thanks to pal Heather who came by the studio (with lunch, no less!) and listened to me rant and watched me throw and even threw a couple of sticks herself. No huge 'aha!' moments, but just the nice, calming effect of a supportive friend collaborating on a challenge. I'll probably continue to add to the reclaim pile, but I think the technical aspects are taking care of themselves and I can go back to thinking less about it and just doing it!


and over in the 'random' wing ... this little key just popped off my keyboard...
...the (mac) universe telling me I should question more ... try a different slant to my views ...
...and more will be added to my life...

No comments: